Mother of Compilers

Everyone who ever studied the history of the computers can notice that women's paper into this is pretty underrated and is difficult to find the actual recognition that they deserve. Grace Hopper is a clear example of this, I've never heard of her and just from this two small pieces of history that we read and watch it's clear to me that this woman was a real breakthrough for the contemporary programming.

First thing to notice and that was actually impressive to me is for her getting the charge that he got, practically becoming the second in charge for it's department during the WW2, that's a reality that was reflected in movies like "Hidden Figures", where some women was just considered for the hard work in calculations, but not getting any recognition and even rejection from their own colleagues. An interesting point here is that, even with her context and the non tell histories that she must go through, it's put in evidence during the documentary that she doesn't supports the contemporary feminist movement, and that she felt herself having the same opportunities as men.

I like the fact that she stated herself as the first person that used the word bug and have an actual anecdote for that it's just great, I like it because it just show us that people that make changes are also human, you know, it feels like a more personal "biography" or like a realistic way for me feeling, yeah that's a thing I might do during job hours with my coworker.

When it's stated for her becoming an expert in something that wasn't even recognized as an expertise knowledge, for me was really intense, for an instance I could feel this differences and great advances that happened way so quick, and that she was an important part of it. She just became one of my new references for anyone who diminish women in this industry.

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Introduction

The Hundred-Year Language

Making Compiler Design Relevant for Students who will (most likely) Never Design a Compiler